SprayShield™ Animal Deterrent Spray
It’s estimated that there are over 4.5 million dog bites each year in the U.S., with over 600,000 requiring medical attention. SprayShield Animal Deterrent Spray effectively, safely and humanely repels moderately aggressive dogs. When sampled on trained attack dogs, SprayShield’s powerful citronella formula was found to be an equally effective alternative to 10% pepper spray, with none of the harmful side effects.
The highly concentrated citronella formula used in SprayShield provides a unique, pungent aroma that instantly distracts and confuses the attacking animal. Because it relies on scent, the formula is most effective when sprayed in the general area of a dog’s nose. Different from pepper spray, which must come in direct contact with a dog’s eyes and likely to cause painful corneal ulcers, SprayShield’s formula will harmlessly deter an agitated dog without increasing the level of aggression. As an added benefit SprayShield will not inadvertently injure the user or other onlookers.
A can of SprayShield is great to have within reach in shelters, training classes, kennels or veterinarian offices. It also easily fits into the pockets of joggers, dog walkers and family members who enjoy taking strolls around the neighborhood.
Standard Operating Procedures
SPRAYSHIELD® Animal Deterrent Spray
To be most effective the spray stream should be aimed at or near the nose of an attacking animal. Before using SprayShield on an animal, the user should test the spray to become familiar with the range of spray.
1. SAFETY: Citronella is the active ingredient and presents a strong odor to the animal causing them to be distracted from the object of their aggression. The contents are under pressure, and if heated, the can may explode.
2. EFFECTIVENESS: Independent sampling has shown that SprayShield is effective in controlling dogs exhibiting low to medium aggression. It should be noted, however, that while the product has matched the effectiveness of 10% pepper spray on dogs, it may not stop trained attack animals or those animals with a strong motivation to attack.
3. HOW TO USE: The first defense is observation and awareness of the area. Potentially dangerous situations should be avoided. However, if faced with an attack situation SprayShield can be sprayed at or near the nose of the animal to distract it and allow valuable seconds for retreat to a safe place. A second or continuous spray may be used for those animals that persist.
4. IF THE OWNER BECOMES HOSTILE: Remain calm. The owner most often assumes that you have sprayed their pet with pepper spray. Explain that the solution in SprayShield is not pepper spray and does not cause pain to the animal. The spray contains a natural essence, citronella oil, which serves merely to distract the dog. Let the owner smell the scent and spray a small amount on your hand to demonstrate that it does not burn like pepper spray.
5. IF BITTEN BY A DOG: Immediately call Animal Control to report the bite so that the dog can be checked for proper rabies vaccination. If possible, keep the dog in visual contact until an officer arrives. This will help ensure that the correct animal is identified. If unable to do this, attempt to have someone else do this for you. If the bite breaks the skin seek medical attention immediately.